Skip to main content

Pets are human-friendly animals that individuals and families love to have around or keep at home. However, these seemingly innocent animals can cause some form of discomfort to your eyes, either directly or indirectly. This is because pets carry eye allergens that can irritate the eyes.

These allergens include pet fur, pet dander (dead skin cells), pet saliva, pet urine (which contains large amounts of ammonia thus giving off an offensive odor), pollen, mold, and dust from pets that wander outside for most of the day.

The following symptoms are usually experienced by individuals who have eye allergies from pets; watery eyes, burning or itchy eyes, red or pink eyes, swollen or puffy eyelids

Preventing eye allergies from pets can be avoided by staying away from the source of the allergens as much as possible. But you cannot completely avoid pets. Even if you choose not to keep pets at home, you will certainly come in contact with pet allergens either when visiting friends and loved ones or unknowingly having close body contact with someone who has allowed a pet to rub against their body or clothes.

However, the following tips will help you prevent a possible breakout of eye allergies from pets:

  • If you are paying a visit to families that have pets, kindly request that pets should be kept in a separate room away from you while you are there.
  • On your return from such visits, wash clothes and wipe down luggage to remove possible residue of pet allergens that might be unknowingly present on them.
  • If you must keep pets at home, keep them away from areas where you spend most of your time daily.
  • Avoid close body contact (petting, hugging, or kissing) with your pets.
  • Wash your hands very well immediately after handling anything used by your pets.
  • If your eye allergies are associated with birds, avoid using feather pillows completely.

Despite your pest preventive measures, you might still experience some allergic reactions. Never hesitate to consult your eye doctor to be sure that it is an allergic reaction and not something else, then take the appropriate medication.